Earn 2 – 3 credits in only 2 weeks at CPI in Costa Rica!
Classes begin every Monday at all three beautiful CPI locations
Students travelling alone to Costa Rica may earn university credits while studying at one or all three of our fantastic CPI locations in Costa Rica. Students earn approximately 2-3 credits in 2 weeks and credits are issued from one of the following participating U.S. universities: New Mexico State University (NMSU) for both NMSU and non-NMSU university students, Brookhaven College (for Brookhaven students) or University of Southern Mississippi (USM) for USM students. Starting any Monday, students may earn 2-3 credits over a 2 week period (or 6 credits over a 4 week period or 12 credits over an 8 week period).
The enrollment process is simple.
- First, the student must register with CPI to ensure space is available in our program.
- Once the student has received the CPI registration confirmation, s/he will contact the issuing entity (NMSU, Brookhaven College or USM) and register directly for the transfer credit program.
- Students pay CPI for the on-site program in Costa Rica and pay the issuing entity directly for the transfer credits & study abroad registration. The number of credits selected determines the minimum number of weeks the student must study in order to fulfill the credit requirements.
- 2 weeks CPI Spanish classes + homestay (includes breakfast & dinner) = $1,320 + 2 credits & university registration $520 = $1,840
- The cost varies according to the credit issuing institution, number of class hours, lodging options, etc.
Sign up today and earn credits while studying Spanish with CPI in Costa Rica!
Please reference below for more detailed information.
Academic credit options for students traveling to Costa Rica: available YEAR ROUND
NEW MEXICO STATE UNIVERSITY
NMSU WINTER PROGRAM 2019/2020
2 week NMSU WINTER Group PROGRAM
- Saturday, December 28th 2019 - Sunday, January 12th, 2020
- Also open to non-NMSU university students
- In only 2 weeks earn 4 to 6 NMSU university transfer Spanish credits
- $2,786 for the 4 credit program
- $2,956 for the 6 credit program
For a copy of the itinerary or more information on registering with NMSU for the credits please contact:
- Jonle Sedar
- Email: email@example.com
The next 2 week NMSU group program opportunity will be this coming summer (Saturday, June 13th - Sunday, June 28th, 2020).
TRANSFER CREDITS THROUGH NEW MEXICO STATE UNIVERSITY (any Monday for individual university students)
The CPI Spanish program is approved for transfer credits through the New Mexico State University (NMSU) for "Language Credit via Distance Education" program. Undergraduate credit for beginner to advanced courses is available and is transferable to other accredited universities. Graduate credit is also available.
Requirements and Policies for Students:
- In order to receive credits for classes taken at CPI, students must contact the Office of Study Abroad at NMSU PRIOR to leaving for Costa Rica.
- NMSU students may receive university transfer credits for classes taken at CPI Heredia, Monteverde, and Flamingo through the Office of Study Abroad at NMSU.
- Students must take the 5.5 hour-program a day. For every three weeks of studies between CPI Heredia and CPI Monteverde, students may take classes at CPI Flamingo for one week.
- When filling out your CPI registration, please sign up as a NMSU (via distance education) student, in the credits part.
New Mexico State University makes several programs available to non-NMSU students wishing to earn graded credit for intensive study of Spanish. Graded credit is issued by NMSU for Spanish 111-112 (beginning), 211-212 (intermediate), 305 (topics in Hispanic Civilization), 325 (advanced conversation), and a graduate-level 590 course (Advanced Studies in Hispanic Civilization and Cultures). Check with the NMSU for additional courses that may become available; currently there is a 2 week MA opportunity over the summer, check here for details: http://www.cpi-edu.com/pst-ma-credits
The course instructor uses a WebCT course for orientation and language skill evaluation to determine placement level. Then, students accepted into the program travel to the cooperating institution abroad (CPI) to pursue intensive instruction and integration in local culture. Course progress is monitored by e-mail correspondence, WebCT assignments, and at the end of the formal instruction the student returns to WebCT to take an exam and fill out a final evaluation.
Students who are not currently attending NMSU may apply as long as they are in good standing academically at their home institution. Students need to receive permission from their home institution to transfer NMSU credit to their university. Since students are not accompanied by NMSU instructors, students must possess the maturity of character and work ethic to succeed in a self-directed program. Students must comply with NMSU's pre-departure orientation requirements.
Paid to NMSU:
- NMSU Application Fee: US$350
Study Abroad application and processing fee (non-refundable) due at time of application. Fee includes non-degree admission to NMSU, ISIC card and two NMSU transcripts.
- NMSU Credit Charge: US$85 per credit
NMSU will bill students for the credits for which they wish to earn from NMSU. Transcripts will be released once program is completed, work is evaluated, credits are recorded, and all program fees have been paid to NMSU and the host language institute (whose charges are additional).
- HTH Insurance (mandatory): US$44 per month
CPI has established a direct relationship with Brookhaven College in Dallas , Texas so that both current Brookhaven College students and students from other colleges and universities in Dallas can earn credits through their Multinational Academic Program ( MAP ). The Immersion Language Experiences available through these programs are an affordable means for students to experience valuable language and cultural immersion opportunities that provide a sound basis for more advanced study of the language.
1. Credits for Current Brookhaven College Students:
Current students at Brookhaven College have the option of obtaining college credits for a variety of Spanish courses. To apply for this credit program, please contact Brookhaven College to receive information about this opportunity.
2. Credits via Distance for Students from Other Universities in Dallas:
The CPI Spanish Program is approved for transfer credits through Brookhaven College by enrolling in Study Abroad/Individualized Distance Learning courses. For information about this, please send an email request to Brookhaven College to ask for information about their Multinational Academic Program ( MAP ) . Once you have received that information, be sure to seek advance approval from your institution, since each district, or college has its own policies regarding the types of credit it will accept. In the meantime, do not delay to make your free application for admission to Brookhaven College by applying on-line at
MAP for Study Abroad
World Languages Division
3939 Valley View Lane
Farmers Branch, TX 972-860-4770
THROUGH YOUR UNIVERSITY
To obtain academic credit for classes taken at CPI directly through your university, you should follow the required procedures indicated below:
- First, the student should inquire about the policies of the university in regard to acquiring university credits via Spanish courses offered outside of the country.
- The student must inform CPI of the university policy as well as provide the name, phone number, and e-mail address of the university staff member responsible for approving credits. The name of the academic institution should also be included.
- Upon receipt of the information solicited in point #2, CPI requests academic credit approval from the indicated university staff member as well as provides detailed program information and any additional documents that are required. CPI does not charge an additional fee for this service.
- Once in Costa Rica, CPI follows the necessary procedures approved by the respective university. The student is expected to fulfill all university requirements, without exception.
PLEASE NOTE THAT IF YOU DO NOT ARRANGE THIS BEFORE STARTING YOUR PROGRAM, YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO EARN CREDITS FROM CPI. WE NEED TO KNOW THE UNIVERSITY’S REQUIREMENTS IN ADVANCE.
If you have further questions about obtaining university credits, click here.
For example, the following universities accredit CPI classes for their degree students:
- Olivet Nazarene University - Bourbonnais, IL
- Northeastern Illinois University, IL
- Anderson University - Anderson, IN
- Ohio University – Athens, OH
Additional university credit opportunities at CPI
Another available credit option includes the situation of university professors accompanying a group of students from their respective university. For some university groups the primary focus is Spanish language acquisition and for others, the concentration is Spanish language acquisition with a professional focus, such as medical Spanish, Spanish for social workers or Business Spanish. For more information about Groups at CPI click here.
CPI has worked in this capacity with the following universities: